Well, Fresno State shaved its famous fu manchu. Pat Hill — in a move that was only surprisingly in how quickly it happened after season’s end — was fired as Bulldog football coach on Sunday, ending a sometimes tumultuous relationship with the program and its fans that lasted 15 years.
On Sunday, athletic director Thomas Boeh said: “We’ve been evaluating data after each season for the last several years, and we saw a trend that was not reflective of us being able to pursue the goal of a conference championship, and our community was not responding any longer to the record that we had.”
In a press conference this morning, Hill said, among other things: “I feel that I gave it my best shot for 15 years, it wasn’t good enough. I hope the next man can come in and take you all where you want to go … So as I say goodbye, I thank you for everything. I think the Fresno State football program is in a great position to make a run. … Thank you for everything you gave me. Goodbye, Fresno.”
As the Pat Hill era comes to a close, we at The Beehive have identified five very important things that are likely to see happen in the post-Pat Hill era at Fresno State.
5. Fresno State makes a big splash with a new coaching hire. There are a lot of “homer” picks circulating from fans — Tim McDonald, really?!? If they want a high-school coach, I started a Twitter campaign yesterday to hire the illustrious coach Eric Taylor. If they can’t nab him, here’s my short-list of awesome hires that would surely re-energize the fanbase.
4. Beer sales begin again at Bulldog Stadium. Hey, if this is so much about money, selling beer again will lead to: (1) better attendance (2) more revenue (3) more post-game hijinks. The school could even started selling Bulldog-branded screwdrivers for some extra coin.
3. Fresno State starts selling personal seat licenses to students in the spring to raise the funds needed to buy out Hill’s contract. Without a personal seat license, students will not be permitted to sit during their classes.
2. In a show of solidarity and a remembrance to their old coach, the entire 2012 Bulldog squad grows Fu Manchus that they dye red on gamedays.
1. Six months from today, citing a lack of viable candidates, Fresno State hires Hill back as its coach — with a $10,000 raise.
[photo: Eric Paul Zamora / The Fresno Bee]