The last week has seen a surge in conversation about the Fulton Mall, specifically the long-standing debate about whether to open it to traffic or keep it a pedestrian mall.
Last Wednesday the PBID Partners of Downtown — the property owners association — endorsed a plan to open the mall. On Friday, Mayor Swearengin will announce what she thinks should be done with the mall.
In the meantime, many words have been written, many opinions have been shared and it’s obvious many people are passionate about this debate. Whether that’s the Save the Fulton Mall folks or their opposition.
- George Hostetter writes about the PBID’s decision and says it likely means opening the mall.
- Bill McEwen says leave the mall alone for now.
- Jim Boren says the opening the mall to traffic isn’t the answer to fixing downtown.
- Fresno Famous examines the issue and says opening the mall to traffic is the easy way out politically.
- Mural District boosters are fine either way, but don’t want it getting in the way of their progress.
- Bee letter writer says “We need that mall.”
Suppose the point here is, there are A LOT of opinions out there. So what’s yours? Leave the mall closed? Open it to traffic? Level the whole thing and start over? Make everything south of Shields a different city? Something else? Let’s hear it.