Welcome to the third semi-regular Swedies, the Fresno sweding community’s most prestigious award ceremony — that is, until Fresno Mag adds a category to the “Best of the Fresno” awards.
Saturday’s Swede Fest 6 was a standing-room-only hit at Starline, bringing together a wide ranges of ages to marvel at the inventive, low-budget and all around wacky local film-making. There was a full dockets of films — 15 total — with a number of great performances.
Without further ado, here are the Swedie winners. Honorees win the chance to print out this post, highlight their names and put it on their refrigerators. Highlighter not included.
- Best Motion Picture (drama): “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom”
- Best motion picture (comedy/musical): “The Three Amigos”
- Best Actor: James McLane, “Raising Arizona” (and briefly in “The Three Amigos”)
- Best actress: Brittany Stapleton, “Psycho”
- Best supporting actor: Ryan Jones, “The Big Lebowski”
- Best supporting actress: Petra Carter, “Citizen Kane”
- Best director: (tie) John Rios, “The Breakfast Club” and 5-year-old Jimmy Cosentino, “A Grand Day Out with Wallace and Gromit.”
- Best cinematography: Kyle Lowe, “Mean Girls.”
- Best props: “The Godfather”
- Best costume design: “Planet of the Apes”
- Best swede filmed over dinner: “The Wizard of Oz … at Yoshino’s”
- Best Mike Oz cameo: “The Wizard of Oz … at Yoshino’s”