The “oops” of the day goes to Fresno Magazine. Today was the last day to vote in this year’s “Best of Fresno” awards, and our local Twitter community (hat tip to @alisa_m_) discovered a pretty grave gaffe on Fresno Mag’s part.
Once you voted, some results were public — meaning, you could see not only what people voted for, but the personal information they entered while voting.
In true Fresno Mag failing fashion, the top of the report said, “We don’t like spam either. Your contact information will remain confidential.” *facepalm*
I’ll let someone else lecture Fresno Mag on how to do an online survey correctly (use our comment section, if you wish).
My favorite part was seeing some of the ridiculous things people were voting for. Two things were quite clear: Fresno Mag’s awards have their ballot-stuffers (no duh!) and some voters REALLY can’t spell.
There’s a lot of hilarity, and you can check it out here (until Fresno Mag fixes the settings, that is), but here are 10 favorites, as selected by Heather McLane and myself.
10. Best Elected Official (Male) – Barak Obama
9. Best [every category] - Don’t know [Ya know, you could have just left it blank and saved yourself some time and typing]
8. Best Jewelry Store – Downtown Swap Mall
7. Sun Angels Tanning & Beauty Salon – who were obviously stuffing the ballot for best nail salon, best hair salon and (??) best place for a kid’s birthday party
6. Best Day Care – My car’s back seat
5. Best Country Club/Golf Course – United States [someone stopped reading the category halfway in]
4. Best Place to Buy a Handbag – Vons, ICEE
3. Best Place to Pop the Question – Al Rico Taco’s, Quiznos by the pepper bar
2. Best Interior Design – 180 overpass
1. Best Elected Official (Female) - Major Swerigen
EVENING UPDATE: Fresno Magazine has (rightfully) made the results private. Therefore, I’ve edited this post and removed some claims I made of people who were stuffing the ballot, because there’s not a link to back it up anymore.