It was a pretty huge weekend around Fresno — here are some updates. Where did your weekend adventures take ya? Tell us in the comments.
- It took a last-minute, one-night-only liquor license and round-the-clock work, but The Edge pulled everything together in order to open Friday night as promised. I wasn’t there, but all reports say there was a good crowd. Kim Kardashian has pics on her blog and local photog Casper Munoz has loads on his site like the one above. Who was there? Was it worth what you paid?
- On another Edge note: Owner Kirk Vartanian said on Friday that the club would be closed for two more weeks to finish the remodeling. Then on Saturday, he changed course and said it would be open Thurs-Sat as an 18-and-over, no-booze spot until the remodeling is done and the club gets its permanent liquor license. (Side note: Props to ABC30 for the funniest thing I saw this weekend).
- Patrick Contreras’ Tower District block party was a blast. Organizers say it drew a total of 750 people throughout the night (which is more than the figures I’ve heard from Edge). Contreras was his usual violin-shredding showman self, covering Michael Jackson and riding around the crowd in a pedicab. And I’ll say this: It was really nice to hear music outside in the Tower. We need more of that.
- Up in Tahoe, NoTown Roller Derby completely creamed the Tahoe Derby Dames — 183-69. Next up for NoTown is a July 11 bout against the Diamond Divas of Bakersfield at Fresno Fairgrounds.
- I missed Brian Kenney Fresno’s attempt at a 12-hour straight solstice concert — but I heard he was going strong throughout the day. Anybody there more toward midnight? Did he pull it off? Here’s a photo from The Bee’s Craig Kohlruss:
Fill us in on all the wonderful Fresno stuff you did this weekend — Fun events? Good food? Try something new? Let’s hear it!