In case you missed his farewell column in last Saturday’s paper, our beloved colleague Ron Orozco is
abandoning us retiring after 41 years of service to The Fresno Bee. In recognition of Ron’s myriad contributions to the central San Joaquin Valley, Mayor Ashley Swearingen declared today — which is Ron’s last in the Bee office — as “Ron Orozco Day.” We figure since he’s got this amazing amount of power for 24 hours, here’s what we’d like him to do:
1. Charge lunch for The Bee’s features staff on Swearengin’s tab at the Downtown Club.
2. Check out 35 books from the library and never turn them in.
3. Drive a firetruck.
4. Make high-speed rail stop at his house.
5. Declare war on Clovis.
6. Fresno State fans will now be known as “Ron’s Red Wave.”
7. Bring back the Giants to Grizzlies stadium, with Ron watching from his in-perpetuity luxury suite always stocked with cupcakes.
8. Change city motto from “We’re Three Hours from Everything” to “We Love Piemonte’s.”
9. Demand a role in Cirque show “Varekai” as guest trapeze performer.
10. Find a way to rub some of his kindness, generosity, humor and compassion on every resident of Fresno. If we could do that, we’d definitely be the friendliest city in the world.