The official Coachella lineup was announced yesterday and like music fans everywhere, I’ll go ahead and chime in.
I won’t go through the entire list of bands, because, duh, you can look at the lineup yourself. And I won’t debate the merits of these kind of mega-festivals or whether or not the lineup warrants the tickets price (you can do all that on Facebook).
What I will do is put out a wish list for local promoters. The weeks before and after Coachella offer golden opportunity to pull in some of the mid- and low-level acts who often work their tour schedules around the festival. Those weeks have become known as Fauxchella in a lot of markets (San Francisco for example).
Take a careful look at the lineup because some of these band will be coming though, no doubt.
Here are five acts I would to see:
- Motorhead. Saw them in Bakersfield at a tiny-ass venue, so it could happen.
- Group Love. Sort of a refreshed ’90s indie-rock Pixies vibe.
- Wye Oak. Have you heard their cover of Danzig’s “Mother?”
- The Toy Dolls. Seriously underrated English punk-rock band. I believe they’ve been here before, but I was too terribly young at the time.
- Pet Shop Boys. Just to hear them do “You were Always on My Mind.” This is the least likely to actually happen. That’s why it’s called a wish list.
Feel free to take a look at the lineup and add your own choices in the comments.