Chuck Leonard is Fresno’s ultimate pseudo-celebrity. He’s not a household name, but that doesn’t stop him from acting like it. It’s part of his charm. Like the time he lobbied to become Fresno’s favorite anchor, then demanded a recount when the vote didn’t go his way.
Or, how he refers to himself in the third person in interviews, even informal ones.
“You know what will put you on the map? Chuck Leonard will put you on the map.”
That’s how he sold his show “The Central Valley Buzz with Chuck Leonard,” to KAIL, where it will premiere Sept. 16. Leonard will be on from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m Monday through Friday and he is already billing it as the “biggest thing that’s ever been aired on local TV.”
He does this with complete sincerity, which tells you pretty much what you need to know.
Some other stuff:
- He knows how to hound a blogger (at least this one) into giving him coverage.
- The success of the show will hinge on whether he can go two hours a day without swearing. He seems to think he can. His friends aren’t so sure.
- He loves Fresno, even though it’s only his adopted home. “If you think Fresno is boring. It’s you,” he says.
- He has a tattoo of Mayor McCheese on his left arm. He got it on a dare, and it doesn’t look half bad. It’s the kind of stuff you can expect to see on his show.
- He carries around a Sharpie. You know, for autographs. “It’s the only thing that stick to boobs,” he says.
- He’s probably never used that pen.