For those following the count-down clock, we’ve hit the zero hour (to the chagrin of at least one user). Those following me over from my previous gig at Fresno Famous will need no introduction, but the rest of y’all probably want to know what I am about.
First off, I like lists. So:
- Downtown. When the Vagabond Lofts were built in 2006, I was the first to move in. Literally, the very first resident in the complex (OK, I had a roommate). I was what then-council member Henry T. Perea called an urban pioneer. I fully buy into the idea that a city is only as good as its downtown, and that Fresno can be (heck, it already is) a vibrant, cultural hot-spot. To that end, I’ll be keeping up with the city’s efforts to get people back to the urban core. For now, check out I Believe in Downtown Fresno. You don’t have to take the pledge, but you can at least get informed.
To keep from being all north Fresno vs. south, I also have an affinity for Fig Garden Village and the Tower District and have no problem hanging out at River Park when I need to.
- Bicycles. Vintage bikes, road bikes, race bikes, single-speed fixies: Bikes are just super cool machines. I spent more time researching and buying my bicycle than I did on my car and find myself craning my neck any time someone rides by. To that end, I’ll be passing along info on groups like The Fresno Bike Party, which has monthly rides around town. Also: Creative Fresno’s mural bike ride. It’s a members-only event, so if you don’t belong, you’ll need to join. CycleEXIF is an awesome site for bike porn (totally safe for work).
- Reading. Books are my favorite. Donald has this covered here at the Beehive, so I’ll probably just add in my two cents on his posts. Starting tomorrow I’ll be reading Jason Heller’s novel “Taft 2012,” which I found on my desk this morning. Welcome to the Bee!
- Beer. I don’t always drink beer, but when I do, I want it to be good. To that end, I suggest you check out the Perfect Pour Podcast and/or any of the growing number of local breweries. Tioga-Sequoia comes to mind and is having a big-ish event soon. Also: Fresno Brewing Company, which doesn’t technically brew but, but has dozen on tap and in bottles. I will be there tonight hanging out and playing some music. Which brings us to …
- Music. My tastes of late tend to be on the hyper-local side and I’ll have to do some research on who won what Grammy. BUT I can tell you about most of the bands playing in town this weekend. While, Keith Morris’ new band OFF! has been in constant rotation for the past week (as has Broncho), I’m big on the local bands. A quick top five (if you made me choose): Murder Park, General Populus, Sparklejet, Sunburns, Mane Horse. In that vein, I’ll be posting concert and gig reviews, plus a Beehive version of the weekend musical round-up BANDGEEEEEEK! You can also hear me on from 6-7 p.m. Mondays on KFSR (where I co-host the Local Show).
So, there it is. Hope you enjoy.