In honor of July being both National Hot Dog Month and National Ice Cream Month, Weinerschnitzel is giving away your choice of a free original chili dog or a free Tastee Freez small cone between 5 and 8 p.m. tonight at participating locations.
Here are some fascinating hot dog facts, courtesy of Wienerschnitzel and the National Hot Dog & Sausage Council:
– Americans eat 20 billion hot dogs a year – an average of 70 hot dogs per person.
– More hot dogs are eaten in July than any other month of the year, which is why it is designated National Hot Dog Month.
– On July 4 alone, the biggest hot dog day of the year, 155 million hot dogs will be consumed. That is enough hot dogs to stretch from Los Angeles to Washington, D.C., more than five times.
– More than 21 million hot dogs will be eaten at major league baseball parks this year. That’s enough hot dogs to round the bases 41,667 times – or stretch from Nationals Park in Washington, D.C. to AT&T Park in San Francisco!
– The first words Mickey Mouse ever uttered in a cartoon were “hot dogs” (in “The Karnival Kid,” 1929).