It’s time once again for my annual Top 20 list of Fresno-area cultural events. As I explain in my Sunday Spotlight column, I consider everything on my theater-classical-music-opera-visual-arts beat that I’ve seen, with the understanding that I never get to experience all that I’d like because of scheduling conflicts. The hard part this year, as always, was figuring out how to whittle my list down to 20. I give more background on each of my picks in my Sunday column, but here is my list in abbreviated form in alphabetical order:
1. 1821 Calaveras Gallery & Studios, downtown Fresno.
2. Taylor Abels in “Urinetown,” College of the Sequoias.
3. Brooke Aiello in “Hamlet,” The New Ensemble.
4. Kirkman Amyx at Fresno State’s Artist Invitational.
5. Jacqueline Antaramian in “Master Class,” StageWorks Fresno.
6. “Assassins,” Fresno State.
7. Emanuel Ax, Keyboard Concerts.
8. “Ballet Stars of San Francisco,” Lively Arts Foundation, Saroyan Theatre.
9. “Carmen,” Fresno Grand Opera.
10. Kristin Chenoweth, Fresno Grand Opera concert, Saroyan Theatre.
11. Concordia Choir, Shaghoian Hall.
12. Philip Levine and Peter Everwine with the Benjamin Boone Jazz Quartet, Tower Theatre.
13. Louise Mandrell in “Calamity Jane,” Good Company Players.
14. Melinda Parrett in “Next to Normal,” StageWorks Fresno.
15. Joel Pickford’s “Soul Calling: A Photographic Journey through the Hmong Diaspora,” Fresno Art Museum.
16. Scott Piper in the “Love Conquers All” Youth Orchestras of Fresno concert, Shaghoian Hall.
17. “Poe and Matthews,” Rogue Festival.
18. “The Rocky Horror Show,” Artists’ Repertory Theatre.
19. “Spring Awakening,” the Underground@CMT.
20. Ashley Taylor in “Ordinary Days,” Organic Theater Factory.
What do you think? What would you add or take away?