I feature Trashique, one of Fresno’s most glittering social and artistic events of the year, in my Sunday Spotlight column. (It will be held Saturday, April 21 at the Fresno Art Museum.) In my column you can read about the basics of the event — in which local artists are asked to design garments out of trash or recycled material — along with a glimpse of one of the creations for this year’s event designed by Rhomie Thompson. He constructed a skirt and bustier-style top out of used party hats and California Scratcher tickets, and he tops off the ensemble with a candy-apple-red wig made out of a phone book. We didn’t have enough space in the print edition to use Bee photographer John Walker’s gorgeous photo of the headpiece, so here it is in all its glory:
After the jump, lots more Trashique coverage.
Here are some more views of Thompson and his design:
LOOKING BACK AT TRASHIQUE
Here’s a video look at the November 2010 event:
THIS YEAR’S RUNWAY LINEUP
The runway show will consist of 13 separate “scenes,” each tied together by music, lights, choreography and a particular artist-inspired vision. Here’s the lineup:
1. Master artist and scientist theme inspired by Leonardo da Vinci.
2. Geometric and sparkly theme inspired by Antoni Gaudi.
3. Harlem Renaissance, collage and written words theme inspired by Bearden.
4. Black grid lines and primary colors theme inspired by Piet Mondrian.
5. Swirls of flowing colors theme inspired by Vincent Van Gogh.
6. Living-sculpture tableaux theme inspired by George Segal.
7. Dada and surrealism theme inspired by Max Ernst and Jean Arp.
8. Graphic opposites in black and white theme inspired by M.C. Escher.
9. Pop-art patterns inspired by Wayne Thiebaud.
10. Graffiti and protest streetwear theme inspired by Jean-Michel Basquiat.
11. Kinetic art theme inspired by Alexander Calder.
12. Mount Fuji theme inspired by Katsushika Hokusai.
13. “Surgical Couture” theme with a collection by London designer Kei Kagami.
Here’s a list of Fresno design professionals who have donated their time to make the Trashique runway show come together:
Creative designer and director: Roseanne Guaglianone
Event coordinator: Marissa Chuman
Designer: Lynda Thomsen, Xpress Yourself Design & DÃ©cor
FASHION SHOW TEAM
Director of choreography: Ruth Griffin
Choreographers: Ruth Griffin (Da Vinci, Mondrian, Hokusai, Segal), Cristal Tiscareno (Gaudi, Ernst & Arp, Thiebaud, Calder), Samantha Sweeney (Bearden, Van Gogh, Escher, Basquiat)
Actor: Dylan Curtis
Stage manager: Selene Ramirez
Halogen Modeling Agency Artist liaison: Nate Gilbert
Model liaison: Rhomie Thompson
HAIR STYLE TEAM
Coordinator: Eric Gomez
Basquiat: Jacquetta Sorenson, Tasha Torres
Bearden: Troy Newland, Stephanie Cody
Calder: Dawn Coates, Glen Cole, Robert Maldonado
Da Vinci: Joemar Baniaga, Kelly Mulligan
Ernst & Arp: Max Sosa, Natasha Gomez
Escher: Lawrence Luna, Susan Sherman
Gaudi: Cat Barco, Denise Rangel
Hokusai: Eric Gomez, Arlene Morales
Mondrian: James Gomez, Jackie Chamblin
Segal: Manoug Sakayan
Thiebaud: Carrie Thomas, Sydney Kramer
Van Gogh: Edward Madrigal, Manoug Sakayan
Coordinator: Debbi Shapazian
Kim Del Pozo (Van Gogh, Thiebaud)
Samantha Haas (Da Vinci, Gaudi)
Aaron Rowe (Escher, Segal)
Debbi Shapazian (Calder, Hokusai)
Jaquetta Sorenson (Basquiat, Surgical Couture)
Erin Whitleek (Bearden, Mondrian)