FresnoBeehive.com

Pop culture, entertainment & all things Fresno

People are worried about Tower District crime

Crime statistics are notoriously squishy. Without expert analysis, it can be hard to know when there’s a verifiable “crime wave” and when people are just stringing together anecdotes. But one thing is clear: There’s an impression in recent days in the Tower District that crime is on the rise. I received an email from a promoter cautioning folks planning to come to the Live Eclectic music event Friday at Starline Grill:

Just so you know, there has been a string of armed robberies happening in the area around The Starline Grill recently. If you come down, be on the lookout. (sounds real enticing to come down now, huh?) Still hope to see you, but be safe!!

And in what’s become the ultimate signifier these days for societal trends: a Facebook page has popped up titled “Please Help Stop Crime in the Tower District.” It has 166 members. From the page:

Two muggings on 6/22/2010. Please be careful out there!

An appropriate level of caution or unwarranted alarmism? There’s a back-and-forth discussion here.

Responses to "People are worried about Tower District crime"

Blake says:

Donald,

Chief Dyer recently had a community meeting at St. Therese’s Hall to discuss the moving of the Central Police Station from its current Broadway location. My wife and I attended. Good meeting. One factoid the Chief relayed was that crooks they are picking up in the Tower are being released by Mims!

He gave an example where a young fellow was arrested 8 or 9 times over two weeks for breakling into cars, and was released each and every time.

Is it a crime wave of multiple crooks or the same ones repeating the same offense(s)?

Dave Weikel says:

Yes. As long as there is little financial investment in government, this will continue to happen. At the state level the debt only equals about 1% of the state’s GDP. So where is the other 99% going to? It’s not government. I’d imagine if we continue the current trend, there will be a time when PD’s workforce is so small, you’ll have to get in line and wait for a response even to some of the more serious crimes, simply because PD won’t have enough workforce to respond. And even if they did the county’s workforce may be so small that they can’t hold them in jail.

mdub420 says:

If I was criminal piece of poo, I would be breaking the law all the time too. I mean why not? The jail is just releasing everyone. There is no consequence. It’s going to get worse before it gets better. That’s why I’m all for the cops to shoot to kill.

DALE> NEW RESIDENT TOWER says:

JUST MOVED TO THE TOWER JUNE 1ST MY PLACE IS ON VAN NESS AT MCKENLEY,JUNE 14TH MY PLACE WAS BROKEN INTO 9AM THAT MORNING, THEY CAME THREW THE FRONT WINDOW, AND LEFT THREW THE BACK DOOR, WITH TWO FLAT SCREEN TV’s, ANYWAY I HAVE LIVED IN ALOT OF BIG CITIES LA, ATLANTA, NY, HOUSTON NEVER HAD A PROBLEM, BUT I WILL TELL YOU, IM A NEWBIE TO THE TOWER, SO I THINK ILL STAY FOR AWHILE, ANYWAY WHO NEEDS A TV! I THANK THEM.I JUST HOPE THE DRUGS THEY BOUGHT LASTED LONGER THAN THE FIFTHTEEN DAYS I LIVED HERE….

JoAnne says:

Boy, You are brave. Next time they may take you!

Sanchez says:

Today i caught a guy staring into my yard as I drove off, I circled around the block and saw him checking the driver side door handles of parked cars on San Pablo st. in front of Heaton elementary. I called 911, followed him westbound on Home st. as he continued to stare into cars, circle around on the street to check every newer looking car. He stopped at Food King on Home and Van ness, parked his bike behind it and went into the back hall of the homes there. The guys who work there know him to be no good. His face is on camera at food king 10:00am. I stopped a police woman in her car and told her I’ve called the police and that no one has responded yet, she said she was busy with something else. I continued to follow until he turned noth onto Wishon which is a one way road southbound. I drove around for an hour looking for him, but he gof away. Deep blue colored street bicycle, dark jeans, baggy grey shirt, black backpack with a skateboard sticking out. He was a skinny white guy with short light brown hair, scruffy facial hair about 30 years old. He was talking to himself so I believe him to be a Meth Head. My car and my roomates cars have all been hit. With knowing that the police are no help, I promise to stop this f***er. There will be no trial, straight to punishment, he will wish I turn him over to the police.