Several restaurants with a South African twist are coming to Visalia and Tulare. Actually, the food has quite a few global influences, but we’ll get to that in a second. A family that owns numerous businesses in South Africa recently moved to Visalia and is opening them here. The restaurants are a three-in-one deal. Under one roof you’ll find Jay’s Peri Peri Flame Grilled Chicken, Ocean Basket and Mugs & Beans. The first location opens at Tulare Avenue and K Street Thursday and the Visalia location opens downtown at Garden and Main Streets Friday.
So let me pass along the description of these restaurants that real estate broker and partner in the business Marty Zeeb told me. Or, you can check out the brands on the company’s website here.
- Peri Peri is a chili — as in the pepper — and also known as the bird’s eye chili. He tells me that some Portugeuse folks in South Africa came up with the peri peri sauce that the chicken is marinated in. It’s grilled and then served with the sauce.
- Ocean Basket was a restaurant started by some Greek folks in Capetown. It sells hake, along with steak and lobster.
- Mugs & Beans is a coffee shop that’s open all day long. It serves 20 espresso-based drinks, pastries, soups, salads and burgers.
A third location that’s just a Mugs & Beans will also open soon at 202 Willow St., near Kaweah Delta Medical Center.
Latest posts by Bethany Clough (see all)
- Fig Garden Village: What stores would you think like to see open? - February 5, 2016
- Free froyo and 2 new restaurants opening today - February 1, 2016
- Still shopping? Crazy, middle-of-the-night shopping hours are here - December 17, 2015